Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Spiritual Lesson from the BATHTUB!!!

This morning I put Makayla in the tub. She loves the water, and especially loves to play in the "running" water. Often, I'll put her in there and just let the water run for a while so she can play. This morning, I was just quietly observing her play. She was trying soooooo hard to "grab" the water. Over and over, she would reach up and try to "hold" it. You could see the "wheels" turning. She was trying so hard to figure out how to hold onto the water. After a while, she would wave her arms and fuss in frustration, but go back once again, to try to figure out how she could grab and hold onto the stream of water. It was a mystery to her how it could LOOK like she should be able to hold onto it, but when she tried, it failed. It is a rule of science that at this point in her life she is not capable of understanding. In that moment the Lord spoke to me. He showed me that I am often just like her. Life has circumstances that I just can't figure out. Often things look like they should be one way, but in God's ways, it's completely different. In my own strength, I try and try to "grasp" and try to make it work the way I think it should work. It seems like over and over again I keep going back and try to figure it out on my own. When it doesn't work like I thought it should, I often get frustrated, and "fuss" in frustration, saying, "God, why can't I figure this out?" But He reminds me that circumstances in my life are "bigger" than me, and at this point in my life, just like Makayla, I am not capable of understanding God's ways, but in spite of that, I still need to trust Him.

Thank you, Lord, for my lesson today from the bathtub. Help me to heed it today. To constantly be reminded that your ways are perfect, and that you are in control, and you really do know what You're doing.

5 comments:

Leah said...

Catrena - great object lesson!! Thanks for sharing!!

Jody J said...

Enjoyed the lesson too!

tacomom said...

Great lesson!

LaDonna said...

Great thoughts, and they came from the bathtub!!! Which proves you can learn ANYWHERE!!! It was great to talk to you yesterday.

Peggy B. said...

If we could get that through to our heads - life would be so much more easy.