Saturday, June 23, 2007

Journal of a Frazzled Mother


Where do I begin? Today has certainly been a day, and the children are still in "high" gear. Will today never end? Do any of you other mothers out there ever feel this way? Anyway, this afternoon we decided to go to Lafayette to do some shopping. After getting most of the shopping done (and I won't go into all of the details of THAT), we decided to go to Golden Corral for supper. It went something like this:


6:45 - Enter restaurant (Jeffrey is holding himself, begging to go to the bathroom).

6:50 - Get through the line, boys run to the bathroom, Mom, Dad, DaNae, and Makayla go to our seat.

6:53 - Danae begs to go to the bathroom

6:54 - Boys return from the bathroom, we decided to go ahead and say "grace" without DaNae.

6:55 - Daddy, Jonathan and Jeffrey go to the buffet to fill their plates. Mommy puts baby food jar in hot water to warm for Makayla.

6:56 - DaNae returns from bathroom.

6:58 - Mommy spills hot water that the baby food is in, cleans up mess, begins to feed Makayla.

7:00 - Daddy, Jonathan and Jeffrey return with food, begin to eat. Daddy along with DaNae go to buffet to fill their plates.

7:05 - Makayla is fed, daddy returns to table, mommy goes to buffet to fill plate.

7:08 - Mommy returns to table, starts to eat, feeds Makayla some sweet potatoes off of the buffet, she gets choked, vomits on the table.

7:10 - Mommy cleans up mess, then goes to the buffet to find some crackers for Makayla.

7:12 - Mommy returns to the table with crackers, gives Makayla some to eat.

7:13 - Makayla throws the crackers on the floor while mommy sneaks in a few bites of food that is quickly getting cold on her plate.

7:15 - 7:20 - Mommy picks the chicken off of the bone for DaNae and Jeffrey so that they can eat it.

7:20 - Makayla begins crying very loudly drawing much attention to herself.

7:21 - Mommy makes a bottle of formula for Makayla,

7:22 - Jonathan (who is now finished with his supper) takes Makayla and gives her a bottle

7:22-7:30 - Mommy sneaks in a few more bites of her supper.

7:30 - Makayla falls asleep. SIGH!!!!!

7:31 - Jonathan puts Makayla in her car seat, (by the way, Daddy had to go out to the van to get the car seat, because we didn't take it in) we pop in a pacifier, cover her with a blanket, and sit her under the table (because the car seat won't sit on the seat without falling off).

7:32-7:45 Things are going pretty well, the kids are finising up their supper. Jeffrey comes over to my side of the table, is horsing around with Jonathan, kicks the car seat, and wakes up Makayla.

7:47 - Mommy picks up Makayla.

7:50 - Jeffrey spills a glass of water, it runs off of the table, and soaks the car seat that is sitting under the table. Daddy grabs the car seat, 18 napkins, and starts sopping.

8:00 - Time to go, Daddy folds a blanket to put in car seat so that Makayla doesn't get wet when she sits in it,

8:00 (and 30 seconds) - Jonathan takes the blanket out of the car seat.

8:01 - Daddy re-folds the blanket, puts it back in the car seat.

8:02 - DaNae informs us she has to go to the bathroom again.

8:03 - Walking out of the resturant, and toward the bathroom

8:03 - DaNae informs us that she left her umbrella hanging on the chair. Goes back to retrieve it.

8:04-8:10 - In bathroom with DaNae.

8:11 - Walking out of the bathroom across the restaurant.

8:11 (and 30 seconds) DaNae informs me once again that she left her umbrella hanging in the stall. Goes back to retrieve it.

8:15 - In the van wondering if I really did eat supper and on the verge of tears.


It probably doesn't seem that bad to you reading it, but living it was a different story. I'm sure that to anyone watching us it was like a three ring circus. Please don't get me wrong. I love my children, and wouldn't trade them for anything in this world, but right now I'd like to scream. This little journal of the restaurant experience is just a little glimpse of how it has felt that this whole day has been. I'm sure the time sequences were not just exact, but I think you get the picture. It was one caotic experience. No wonder I have indigestion. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHERE I CAN FIND SOME CHOCOLATE?


We had one more stop to make (Wal-Mart), and then we headed home. Needless to say, on the way home I DID cry. The children were singing to the top of their lungs, and carrying on. Finally, Paul got them to sing some songs together. DaNae was singing "Wide, Wide as the Ocean". She sang "I, though so unworthy, now am a child of His care..." Jonathan, jumps in singing..."and it's ONE, TWO, THREE STRIKES YOU'RE OUT at the old ballgame". About then, Makayla started crying (by this time she is very tired, hungry, needs a diaper change, etc.) and to end this memorable trip, DaNae says, "Oh my, Makayla's getting blessed" and she was as serious as could be. Paul and I just lost it.


In the time it has taken me to write this blog, the house is FINALLY completely quiet. It has been a whole five minutes since I've heard one of their angelic voices. I'm sure in the morning, after this tired mommy gets some sleep things will be much easier to cope with, and I look forward to a fresh new start. I'm thankful that I am blessed to be a mommy. I know that there are lots of women out there that would love to have children and can't. I am humbled that God would choose to bless me four times in such a special way, for I love them so very dearly. They sure do look like angels when they're sleeping.

5 comments:

Mary Ellen said...

OH MY - I can TOTALLY relate. I have completely resigned myself to the fact that if we all go out to eat I will only be eating cold food! There is just no way I am going to eat hot food with four little kids. At least at home I can zap it in the microwave and reheat it six or seven times. "-) This is exactly why date nights with just Rick and I are a must!!! But I still love the kiddos....

tacomom said...

I don't have four but I DO remember days like that when Kerrigan was a baby. I hear and see these things and think in some ways I am glad to be past that stage...mainly b/c I am so tired I don't think I could do it again! Glad to see you here at blogspot...I never could figure out how to get back to your other blog.

LaDonna said...

I TOTALLY believe this blog because I just spent a WEEK at your house! This is what I was talking about...that if I had that many children I would probably be in an asylum somewhere! I am sorry, but I was laughing so hard there were tears when you told about the singing in the van! All I can say is GOD BLESS YOU and I think the Dove chocolate is in the cabinet on the left side of the stove!

tacomom said...

I am still laughing 14 hrs later about that song. I keep hearing it in my head :)

Leah said...

I can't tell you how glad I am that those days are over! Lest you think it gets easier - let me be the first to bust your bubble. The stuff just changes with teenagers but I must admit to being able to laugh more now than I ever have. Unfortunately, it's me laughing at my friends with little kids!!! I know - I am bad!!