Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Feelin' Corny

Well, tis the season for feeling corny. Today I put up almost two bushel of sweet corn. I just wanted to post this picture so that you would all know that my children are "all out-standing in their field".
I picked it all, and this is the easiest way to get it from the garden to the deck where we could all...
work on husking it...

and enjoy eating it.

You know, I love sweet corn, but it sure is a process. It's especially good fresh on the cob, but since we couldn't eat two bushel before it went to waste, it has to be processed.

Let me stop a minute and count just how many times each ear has to be handled before the process is complete.
  1. Picking it.
  2. Husking it.
  3. Bringing it in from outside to begin the next steps.
  4. Washing it.
  5. Putting it in the water to blanche it.
  6. Taking it out of the hot water, putting it into cold water.
  7. Taking it out of the cold water to cut the corn off.

  1. The corn is now off of the ear, but it still has to be bagged.
  2. Put bags into the freezer.

So I guess it's about a seven step process for each ear, and then a couple of final steps to totally compete the process. No wonder I was so excited when I could look in the trash can and see THIS site...that means the job is complete.

But it's worth it...I THINK!!!!!! (Don't ask me today, ask me sometime in January when the snow is flying, and we're enjoying homegrown sweet corn that tastes as fresh as it did today. And so much better than that canned stuff you can buy.)

It's a great feeling to finally have the job completed. Done for another year...big SIGH!

4 comments:

Bobbie said...

You sure have some big helpers. Looks like a lot fun! It will all be worth it this winter when we are all eating canned or frozen corn and you have your own corn.

Leah said...

I am sooooooo jealous!!!! Enjoy your corn and your "corny" joke at the beginning!!!!

Mary Ellen said...

Thanks for making me green with envy! That is my absolute favorite vegetable and you just don't get really good sweet corn on the cob down here (they must not like growing in sand!) and by the time it's trucked in then it's no longer fresh. I did get to enjoy some in KS but I think that just made it worse by reminding me how good it is!

From the looks of your finished project I'd say all your efforts certainly paid off. Enjoy!

Jody J said...

Enjoyed the corny joke. I'm used to laughing at jokes like that. I seem to hear them a lot. :-)